|Cleveland Heights, OH 44106||703-829-5053||dan(at)danfriedell(dot)com|
A Cleveland native who is a dynamic and thorough reporter, writer, interviewer, editor, broadcast host and digital producer for news, sports and features. With a record of executing for major national and local media properties (ESPN, USA Today, AP, MLB.com, Fast Company, Men’s Journal, WTOP, Voice of America).
Work samples can be found at danfriedell.contently.com
WRITING, EDITING AND PRODUCTION
|Digital Writer, Voice of America’s Learning English, Washington, D.C. | Oct. 2015 to Oct. 2017, Jan. 2021 to present
• From 2021 to present: Write, produce and narrate weekly trends in Higher Education feature. Stories included the rise of HBCUs, a discussion of tenure, affirmative action, a look at how pandemic restrictions were affecting college students and those applying, and how international students feel about attending school in the U.S. Provided content for use on the Learning English Facebook page. Regular guest on the Learning English “Talk2Us” webcast with international English learners. Write daily news stories based on current events.
• From 2015 to 2017: Initiated daily “What’s Trending” feature for news service targeted at a world audience attempting to improve its English ability. Consulted multiple social media and trending sites to come up with suitable content. Contributed daily news and feature stories for website and podcast. Narrated and produced hundreds of audio features using Dalet Radio Suite. Wrote and produced for web and video projects, including researching and choosing photos from AP, Reuters and social media channels. Contributed weekly sports analysis on VOA’s English to Africa show “The Sonny Side of Sports.”
Digital Writer and Producer, WTOP, Washington, D.C. | Feb. 2018 to present
• Write daily breaking news stories, long-form features, and produce social media content on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Edit reporter copy, create photo galleries and craft daily news plans with editors.
Guest Host and Contributor, The Sonny Side of Sports (Voice of America), Washington, D.C. | Jan. 2018 to present
Lead Pitch F/X and StatCast producer for MLB.com (Nationals Park and Camden Yards) | March 2012 to Oct. 2021
Live Graphics operator for NHL, NBA, MLB and NCAA television broadcasts | Nov. 2013 to present
Online Editor, USA TODAY, McLean, Va. | July 2007-Dec. 2009
• Produced Olympics, NHL and soccer pages. Edited news and feature articles, athlete blogs, interactive graphics, photo galleries and audio/video presentations. Worked on long-range coverage of 2008 and 2010 Olympic Games in concert with IT, graphics, editorial, marketing and senior management. Directed the creation of 20 sport-specific landing pages and coordinated 12-person Web team from press center in Beijing.
Web Editor and Video Producer, MLB.com, New York, N.Y. | 2003, ’04, ’06-‘07
•Wrote, produced and edited game stories, video features and game highlights for MLB.com and MiLB.com. Edited at least eight print stories per night or four video stories of varying lengths per shift.
Writer and Editor, BIKE.com, Austin, Texas | 2000
• Wrote, edited and planned stories for start-up online cycling magazine. Shot photos for stories.
• Provided detailed coverage of U.S. Postal Service professional cycling team during two-week Spanish tour.
FEATURED FREELANCE ASSIGNMENTS
➢ ESPN the Magazine – “MLB Preview” (April 2013, 2014, 2015) interviewed over 60 baseball players for season preview issue. 2015 NCAA Football and NFL confidential surveys of over a dozen players. Confidential survey of jockeys ahead of 2015 Triple Crown. Rundown of new media releases (June 2014); David Lough Body Shot (Aug. 2014); Video game trends (Nov. 2014); “LeBron James” (Oct. 2013 NBA preview) interviewed nine NBA players about LeBron James’ place in the game; “NHL 2013” (Sept. 2013) interviewed 26 NHL players about key concerns ahead of the 2013-14 season; “Alex Rodriguez” (Aug. 2013) interviewed 10 MLB players about Alex Rodriguez’s suspension for performance-enhancing drugs; “Kids in Sports” (July 2013) interviewed 120 parents of child athletes; “Taboos” (June 2013, noted as one of best projects of the year by ESPN) interviewed 13 professional athletes on what constitutes cheating.
➢ Associated Press (SNTV) – Covered Spanish National Soccer team training ahead of the 2014 World Cup, USA Soccer vs. Germany (2013), Chelsea and Manchester United USA tour (summer 2013/2014) as field producer. Continued with coverage of Manchester United and Barcelona in 2017.
➢ USA TODAY Custom Publications (April 2013-May 2020) – wrote articles for Green Living, Pets, Agriculture, Department of Defense, Homeland Security and Veterans Affairs issues. Topics included: sustainable fishing, LED light bulbs, designing with reclaimed building materials, career opportunities for veterans, year-in-review of Army National Guard, precision agriculture and sustainable brewing and distilling for nationally distributed magazines and tabloids.
➢ Northern Virginia Magazine – Pursued long-form feature stories on the last decade of Washington, D.C. sports, Olympic hopefuls, the effect of the film “Remember the Titans” on T.C. Williams high school, life as an athlete at the country’s best STEM high school, and more.
➢ Fast Company – Detailed look at SRI International’s (creator of Siri) innovations (Sept. 2012) and a design breakdown of Toyota’s 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup vehicle (March 2013).
➢ Men’s Journal “MLB Confidential” (July 2012) – interviewed 45 MLBers on life in the big leagues. Regular contributor to MensJournal.com (2014-present).
➢ Contract content writer Civil Engineering Online (American Society of Civil Engineers) 2013-2015.
➢ Wrote 6-month, multi-part series on 2012 London Olympic prospects for The Washington Times.
➢ Covered 2012 Olympic Table Tennis trials for ESPN, Newsday and The News & Observer (Raleigh, N.C.).
➢ 2010-2012: contributor to Huffington Post/AOL’s Patch.com in Northern Virginia (over 150 stories in two years).
➢ 2010 Olympics correspondent in Vancouver for The SportsNetwork, New York, NPR and Greensboro News-Record.
➢ 2004 (Athens): Baseball, boxing, soccer and beach volleyball researcher for NBC and Telemundo.
➢ 2000 (Sydney): Cycling PA for NBC
SYRACUSE UNIV., (Newhouse) M.A. Magazine, Newspaper and Online Journalism, 2005
BRANDEIS UNIV., Waltham, Mass., B.A., American Studies, Journalism, 1997
- Design/Layout: Photoshop, WordPress, various Content Management Systems
- Video/Audio Editing: Adobe Premiere, Audition; Final Cut Pro 7 and X; Avid Media Composer; iMovie; Dalet Radio Suite; Audacity
*View work samples